Those who view faith as a gift interpret man’s condition, described in Ephesians 2:1 as “dead in trespasses and sins,” as a total inability to respond to God in a positive way. But that phrase describes man’s total separation from God, not his inability to respond to God. Sinful man is totally separated from God and therefore without eternal life. Man retains the image of God to some degree; it was severely marred in the fall, but not totally destroyed. Acts 10:2 describes Cornelius before he came to know Jesus Christ as Savior as a devout man who feared God, gave alms, and prayed to God (and God heard his prayers! Acts 10:31). In Acts 17 the Athenians did not have the proper object of faith but worshiped idols. Paul encourages them to seek to know their “unknown God” which of course is Jesus Christ. Men can seek God in their unsaved state as God draws them (John 6:28-29, 44-45).
Another theological problem with the view of faith as a gift of God is that it misunderstands the nature of faith. Faith is not (as they claim) a divine energy, a special power, or an infused dynamic. That confuses faith with the power of the Holy Spirit. Faith is simply faith. It means that one is convinced or persuaded that something is true so that there is a personal appropriation of that truth. There is not a special kind of faith for eternal salvation. There is only a special object of faith—Jesus Christ. The kind of faith one might have in Buddha is no different from the kind of faith that one can have in Jesus. The only difference is the object: Buddha does not save; Jesus saves. To make faith the power of salvation is to confuse faith with the Holy Spirit. According to Ephesians 2:8 grace is the grounds of salvation and faith is the means by which we appropriate that grace. Properly speaking we are not saved by faith, but through faith.
To show that faith is not a meritorious work, the Bible contrasts faith in Christ with meritorious works in both Ephesians 2:8-9 and Romans 4:4-5. Faith means exactly that we can do nothing for our salvation. We can only receive salvation as a gift. Faith is like an empty hand that simply accepts a gift.” ~Dr.Charlie Bing, GraceLife Ministries (excerpt from full article provided at the link)
Header PictureThis is Shirley's photograph of a flock of beautiful Ibises on the lake in back of our house.
Search Web Site
- 36 Amazing Things
- Believer’s Justification
- Difficult Verses
- Eternal Life For You
- Guest Rules – Disclaimer
- Share Your Faith
- Statement of Faith
- Stemming Fruit Inspection
- What Is Bible Hope?
- What is Grace?
- ♦ About Us
- ♦ Dr. Cucuzza’s Stack
- ♦ Lordship “salvation” Defined
- ♦ Prayer Requests
- Please Email Us Dear Friends: The e-mail at ExPreacherMan is generally for off-topic comments. Please note that the current administrators of this website are unpaid, unaffiliated laypeople. We have no background in the pastorate, in ministerial counseling, etc. Anyone is free to disagree with the positions of this ministry. However, our e-mail is not a forum for debate or discussion. We do not go to others’ websites to contradict nor debate them and we respectfully ask that you afford us the same courtesy. We reserve the right to accept or reject any email. Please read our "Goals" in the Header above
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
EXCELLENT NEW BOOK !!
We recommend this excellent new book, Secure Forever! God’s Promise or Our Perseverance?, by Dr. Tom Cucuzza, one of my former Assistant Pastors. Available on Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com. Click the book for a link to Amazon.com.
NEW E-BOOK - Links:
- Lordship Salvation and Vacation Bible Schools: Clueless, Careless, or Callous?
- The Great White Throne Judgment: Where’s the Cross-Reference?
- REPENTANCE, Tom Cucuzza New Booklet Free Download
- Lordship Salvation: Wile, Style, and Guile
- The Gospel According to Internet Comments
- Some Lordship Salvationists' Pet Passages Explained
- A Distressed Young Man, Francis Chan and Lordship "Salvation"
- Difficult Verses
- Exploited Kid "Preacher" - A lie and NOT Biblical !!
- What is Hope?
- 1,067,173 views