I cannot tell you how many times I have walked into a restroom of a private business and found “gospel” tracts strategically placed for the patrons of that business. In addition to violating the property rights of the business owner, the tracts I have found and read have more often than not violated the gospel as well.
Among the more popular of the so-called gospel tracts are those published by Chick Publications. Consider the following excerpts from their tract entitled “God’s Plan of Salvation”:
Trust Jesus Christ today! Here’s what you must do:
- Admit you are a sinner. “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” (Romans 3:23) ”Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:” (Romans 5:12) ”If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.” (1 John 1:10)
- Be willing to turn from sin (repent). Jesus said: “I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” (Luke 13:5) ”And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:” (Acts 17:30)
- Believe that Jesus Christ died for you, was buried, and rose from the dead. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16) ”But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners. Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8) ”That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” (Romans 10:9)
- Through prayer, invite Jesus into your life to become your personal Saviour. “For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” (Romans 10:10) ”For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:13)
My comments: No one can be saved by following the false plan of salvation set forth in this tract. This is not God’s plan of salvation. It is one of Satan’s counterfeits. Turning from sin is a work. Being willing to turn from sin is an IOU for a work. In addition, praying for Jesus to come into your life is not how you become saved. Believing in Christ ALONE as Savior results in one receiving eternal life.
Next, we will review excerpts from “Steps to Peace with God” from the Billy Graham Evangelistic Organization:
To receive Christ you need to do four things:
1. ADMIT your spiritual need. “I am a sinner.”
2. REPENT and be willing to turn from your sin.
3. BELIEVE that Jesus Christ died for you on the cross.
4. RECEIVE, through prayer, Jesus Christ into your heart and life.
CHRIST says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in” (Revelation 3:20).
The BIBLE says, “Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13).
My comment: This is the same accursed “works for salvation” message we found with the above tract from Chick publications. One is not saved by being willing to turn from sin, nor by asking Jesus into your heart and life through prayer. One can receive eternal life only one way – by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.
And, finally, we have this “gem” entitled “Got Fruit?” from Pinpoint Gospel Tracts:
Jesus said in Matthew 7:16 that you will know a person by their “fruit.” A person isn’t a Christian just because he says he is, prays a little prayer, gets baptized or “asks Jesus into his heart.” For someone to become a Christian, the Bible says that he must Repent of his sins and put his Faith/Trust in Jesus alone! Now read these scary words of Jesus in Matthew 7:21-23: “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'” Will YOU be one that Jesus says, “Depart from me”? Yes, a person IS saved by GRACE, but do YOU truly have the Grace of God? This is the Biblical description of someone who has the Grace of God: “For the Grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and Godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.”(Titus 2:11-14) Do YOU have the Grace of God according to the Bible? Here’s the “good fruit” of the True Christian: the fruit of the spirit (Gal 5:22-23); the fruit of repentance (Matt 3:8); they will obey God (John 14:15); they will know Christ intimately (John17:3, Matt 7:23) and they will evangelize (Mark 16:15, 1 Cor 9:16). Do YOU have the fruit of a Christian? Are YOU A CHRISTIAN ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE? 2 Corinthians 13:5
My comment: This attack on God’s gospel of grace requires works to become saved (front door Lordship “salvation”) and works to prove that you are saved (back-door Lordship “salvation”). Both are unbiblical and turn the gospel into just another worthless religion.
The above sample of tracts is just a reflection of the pervasive religion of Lordship “salvation” masquerading as Christianity. Due to their brief content, these tracts can’t hide behind mission trips, humanitarian relief efforts, or celebrity testimonials. They have to cut to the chase – salvation by works.
The next time you see someone distributing a gospel tract, it might be worth letting him go over it with you. You might be talking to someone who has never understood or believed the gospel.