[***Updated*** by Bold and Italicized text.]
DANGER — Arcing and burning Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs are hazardous to your health and home. My experience.
A year or so we bought a multi pack of 20 amp CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) bulbs (made in China, distributed by a company N:Vision and sold by Home Depot). This was before the Geeenies began demanding them — or before the US Government mandated their future use.
[After several letters to N:Vision, I discovered the CFL BULB is manufactured by GE, NOT N:Vision. All references to N:LVisiuon are in error. I apologize. However the story is still true.]
We found that CFLs do not last as long as regular incandescent bulbs.. so we decided we would use up the remaining two and never buy any more — unless forced by our benevolent government.
A couple of weeks ago we were working in the office where a CFL bulb blacked out. I had no reason to replace it immediately so I continued working on the computer.
Soon there was an acrid odor in the room. I looked at the lamp which held the CFL bulb and there was a plume of smoke beginning to fill the area., I looked at the bulb and it was brightly arcing, burning and smoking right at the place where the glass tube meets the base. As soon as I could get to it, I switched the lamp off, however not before the room and part of the house was filled with the awful odor of something burning and arcing electricity.
I took a picture of the burned CFL bulb and emailed it the distributing company N:Vision, with a description of the problem, (N:Vision is not the distributor/manufacturer – It is a GE manufactured Bulb]
They apologized for the problem but without any explanation of why or what to do, except I should seek medical attention if I felt ill. Also they could find no information about whether or not the smoke we breathed is toxic.
Just think what could have happened had the CFL bulb been in a room unattended or in a ceiling fixture. Would the whole house have filled with toxic fumes? Were the “well advertised” CFL mercury fumes borne about on the rising smoke? Would the burning bulb ignite other stuff in the room? Would it have exploded?
Folks be VERY careful when using the CFL bulbs. Or better yet, DON’T use them at all.
THEY ARE DANGEROUS !!
Does anyone know to whom this can be reported — someone who will take some action, advertise or warn of the problem?
Please write a comment with explanation if you know of someone.